Pineapples from hell!!!

Monday, June 23, 2014



Ok so I was a little disappointed to find out the hard way Pineapples are dangerous!!

This morning I started my day off with a smile, woke up and decided to juice for the day. While juicing I decided I didn’t want to waste the pineapple chunks I had left, so I packed them for a mid-morning snack. So 10 am finally arrives and I’m beyond excited to eat my chilled pineapples (I binged a little) bite after bite I devoured the pineapple chunks. Minutes later I begin to get a stinging feeling in my mouth….which then turned into a harsh burning of my tongue. Needless to say I can’t taste anything else that I consumed today.  I feel like majority of my taste buds are burnt (Ouch!) after my work out tonight I will research a remedy to stop the irritation… I dotn normally eat fresh pineapple unless it’s truly in season, and has a sweet aroma. However this pineapple I only planned to juice and didn’t check for ripeness. (big mistake)

Today’s Lesson:

Select the ripest fruit possible from the grocery store. Ripe pineapples are naturally sweeter and less acidic than those that have not ripened fully on the farm. You can choose a pineapple by selecting one that has a firm and yellow skin and then turning it upside-down. Smell the bottom of the pineapple; it should smell aromatic and sweet. A lack of aroma indicates an unripe pineapple.

Slice the pineapple and remove the core, which can be extremely acidic. Cut the bottom and the top from the fruit, then slice the pineapple down the middle. The core is the lighter yellow strip that runs down the center of the fruit. Once finished, rinse the cut pieces you plan to eat to remove some of the acidic juice.


Place pineapple chunks or slices into a large bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. Salt is highly basic, which counteracts the high pH of the pineapple. Using a small amount of salt won't alter the flavor of the pineapple but make it less acidic so it doesn't burn your tongue. If you're bothered by the idea of salt on your pineapple, soak the slices in salted water and rinse clean before eating.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground